Claims of negligent hiring are waiting in the wings for employers who fail to conduct reference checks on prospective employees. The following are tips for conducting effective reference checks:
- Contact the candidate’s former supervisors, not the human resources department of personal references.
- Identify who you are and the nature of the position sought. Ask:
- What was the individual’s start and end date?
- What was the individual’s final pay rate?
- Why did the individual resign?
- Why was the individual fired?
- How was the individual’s attendance?
- Was the individual ever disciplined for abuse?
- Is there anything else I should know about this individual?
- Don’t give up. Keep calling.
- Document all of your efforts including an employer’s refusal to provide a reference.
Source for Employment notes: Reference Checks by: Laura K. Sitar, Shareholder at Wroten & Associates.